Plantains not PlainJanes – SRC

by Suzanne on February 10, 2014

Salt and Pepper PlantainsI’ve been working very hard at trying to simplify my life lately.  It’s not an easy job.  Simplification is completely overrated.

Before you can simplify you must simply get rid of clutter.

In your closet.

In your garage.

But most of all, in your mind.

YIKES!

I’ve been cluttered in that department for a long time.

We went to pick up our co-op fruit and veggies basket the other day. (Trust me, these stories really do go together.  I’ll bring it for you shortly.)  Gorgeous lettuce, leeks, oranges, little green apples – fabulous in salads, and . . . . then I saw . . . . the

PLANTAINS?!?!?!

Well, here is MORE clutter.  What to do!  What to do!  The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!

This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Anne-Marie’s blog, This Mama Cooks, and I am sooooo glad she does.  Because she totally simplified my life just a little bit more.  You see, she has recipes for Plantain Chips!  And not just any plantain chips, but delicious, savory and sweet, crunchy and healthy chips!  My life is perfect!!!  (See, I told you I would bring it together for you.)

On her blog is the recipe for Healthy Baked Plantain Chips in four different flavors.  Well, there was no doubt in my mind as to how this was going down.

By the way, there is a LOT more on Anne-Marie’s blog than you can shake a stick at.  Or wooden spoon, for that matter.  And you simply must check out her wonderful recipes as there is something for everyone there, I promise!  Whether you are really watching your weight or looking for comfort food, This Mama Cooks has it all.  With drool-worthy pictures to go along with every recipe.

Don’t believe me?  Then check it out for yourself!  And, just so you know, these are soooooo good!  Even Mountain Man gave them a big “Thumbs Up”!!

Salt and Pepper Plantains

Salt and Pepper Plantain Chips
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

This is a great way to satisfy your craving for a little something crunchy and delightfully delicious
Ingredients
  • 1 Green Plantain, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • ½ tsp Coarse Black Pepper
  • ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Garlic Salt
  • ⅛ tsp Onion Powder
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix gently.
  3. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and then place coated plantain chips in a single layer on the sheet.
  4. Bake for about 8 minutes, then remove from oven and turn all of the chips over.
  5. Bake for another 8-12 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and let cool.
  7. Then enjoy!

Salt and Pepper Plantains

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Heather @ Join Us, Pull up a Chair February 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Oh how I love plantain chips! They remind of a Cuban restaurant that I used to go to when I made trips into Philadelphia. I’ll have to try making these sometime! I think my daughter would love to snack on these! Great SRC choice!

Suzanne February 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM

AWESOME snack, for sure. I have to get another couple of plantains and try the savory/sweet version that Anne-Marie has along with this one and 2 others. YUM!

Camilla @ Culinary Adventures February 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

What a great way to change up chips. Thanks for sharing with the SRC…and thanks for all the help in getting me up to speed with the Group B reveal.

Suzanne February 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I can’t believe how much my husband loved them. VERY tasty and certainly satisfy the “crunch” craving, too!

Kate February 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Love plantains! Super selection.

Suzanne February 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I really need to make some more of these!

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! On a Diet February 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Serendipity strikes again! And the fact that your co-op gives you plantains? Marvelous!

Suzanne February 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I know! I couldn’t believe there were plantains. Actually, there were 3. And sooooo glad you had exactly what I needed on your blog. Sweet!

Shelley C February 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I have always been looking for some excuse to buy and try plantains… and this might just be the final push! Yum!

Suzanne February 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Do it!!! And check out the link to Anne-Marie’s recipe for her plantain chips. There are 4 different varieties there. I’m trying the sweet and savory one next time!

Julie February 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I lpve plantains but have never cooked with them. They look delicious

CJ Huang February 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

These plantain chips sound great! I’ve only made banana chips before, but I’m usually looking for new plantain recipes. :)

SeattleDee February 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I’ve enjoyed plantain chips at restaurants but avoid a home version ‘cuz I don’t deep fry. This baked version sounds simple AND delicious. Great choice, and thanks to you for all of your good work as Group B leader.

colleen @ Secrets from the Cookie Princess February 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I LOVE plantain chips! It never occurred to me to make them at home. (Duh) Pinned to try soon!

Jen February 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM

This seems to be a pretty fast recipe to make. I have not used plantains before. I should remember to pick one up and give this a try.

Suzanne March 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM

It is fast AND they are delicious! A good crunchy snack, for sure!