You can tell by looking at this picture that the candle is the “focus” (ha!) on this plate, not necessarily the treats. So, let’s talk about the candle first!
Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, happy, birthday to my cyber-foodie friend that I have actually met in person.
And we still like each other.
Actually, we love each other. Funny how things work out.
Today is Katrina’s birthday. I think she is 24 or 25. But, then she has these four handsome boys – and a husband – so that makes me think maybe she is a little older than that. Maybe 29. I think that is part of the reason she calls her blog Baking and Boys.
But I digress.
Katrina and I met online through a Yahoo! food group. We chatted in the chat room, ’cause that IS what you do in a chat room. And found that we really enjoyed each others sense of humor. Shelby from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch was also a part of that group and we all drifted toward each other like earth magnets. And we have stuck together ever since. We keep saying that we are going to have a girls’ night out – which for us would mean traveling from Texas, New York, and Utah to a place that could handle the three of us for a night. Well, more like a long weekend.
We are still searching for a town that will allow us to stay that long. I’m sure we will find something. . .
My Mountain Man and I traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah, a couple of years ago and I emailed Katrina to see if she wanted to meet up and have lunch. You can read all about it by clicking here!
Both of us have made a little sumpin’-sumpin’ for Katrina for her birthday and have mailed it to her for “munching” pleasure. Click on the link for Grumpy’s Honeybunch to see her birthday wishes and recipe. In my case, there are two treats, one of which you will see below. The other will be coming up tomorrow.
Check your mailbox, Katrina!!!! No, silly. The one by your driveway.
- 1 cup Almonds, unsalted roasted
- 1 cup Pitted Medool Dates, packed
- 2 Lemons
- 1 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- If your nuts are raw, heat the oven to 325F degrees and place the almonds in a pan that will allow most all of the nuts to lay flat, without stacking on top of each other. Roast for about 12 minutes. Then remove and allow them to cool completely.
- Juice lemons.
- In a food processor, add nuts and process until finely ground. Add dates and the juice of both lemons. Process until the mixture makes a soft dough-like mixture.
- Take out about enough at a time to make a 1" ball. Roll around in your hand then roll each ball in the coconut. Place each ball on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator to allow the balls to firm a bit.
- Challenge yourself to eat just one. Betcha can't do it!
Katrina, I love you like crazy, girl. And I hope you like the treats. I’ll publish the Orange Swirls tomorrow, but today I’m wishing you Happy, Happy Birthday and know that I would rather be celebrating WITH you. Oh, and I remember what you said the other day.
1. You like coconut.
2. You are tired of all of your recipes, even though everyone else in your family is not.
3. You love chocolate.
I incorporated ALL of these things into your treats. Except chocolate. Well, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Right?!?
Have a wonderful, happy, couldn’t-be-better-if-I-tried kinda birthday! Wishing I was there to celebrate with you!!!
Love you bunches!