Happy Birthday Shelby a.k.a. Grumpy’s Honeybunch

by Suzanne on September 30, 2012

Shelby's Raspberry Coffee Cake

Happy Birthday to You . . .

Happy Birthday TO You . . .

Happy Birthday dear sweet Shelbyyyyyyyy . . . .

Happy Birthday to yyyyyyooooooooOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

And many, many more!

Grumpy and Shelby

It’s Shelby’s birthday, if you haven’t already figured that out.  If you didn’t, then I suggest you head back to bed and get some more sleep.

Or go suck on a 5-hour energy drink of some sort.

Shelby is the Honeybunch who blogs over at The Life & Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch.  Grumpy is her husband.  At least she tries to make you think he’s grumpy, but he’s not.  He’s just an opinionated man.  He likes what he likes and well, at times he doesn’t like.  Hmmmmm, maybe my Mountain Man is related to Grumpy.  Just sayin’ . . .

Today is Shelby’s birthday and there are several of us, her friends and fellow food bloggers, that prepared dishes from her blog. We are posting them on our blogs, and then we are going to eat them and think of our beloved Shelby.

No, she doesn’t get to eat any of these great dishes.

No, she didn’t get to smell the great aroma’s in our kitchens while they were cooking.

And no, we are not showing up at her house ringing her doorbell and singing happy birthday.

We are doing all of this through the amazing technology of cyberspace.

She will just have to “pretend” we are there and that she gets to eat all this food.  Even though, she doesn’t.

What a celebration, right???  Well, we would all LOVE to be there to celebrate with her at her home in New York (and I have promised her the next time we are there, we WILL be stopping by), and one of these days we all plan to get together somewhere here in the United States and celebrate our long-distance friendships.  But until then, we are thankful and grateful that we all know each other and appreciate the camaraderie that happens between good friends – even in cyberspace!

This is only one of LOTS of great recipes that Shelby has created and made.  Please do drop by and wish her a happy birthday, too.  One can never have too many friends or birthday wishes.

So, to start her birthday day off, here’s my dish and gift for Shelby.

Shelby's Raspberry Coffee Cake

5.0 from 1 reviews

Shelby’s Raspberry Coffee Cake
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast, brunch, cake, dessert
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8-10

A fabulous coffee cake that is perfect morning, noon, afternoon or night!
Ingredients
  • 1 Egg
  • ¼ c Sliced Almonds
  • ¼ c sifted Confectioners’ Sugar
  • 1 tsp Milk
  • ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
  2. Combine raspberries and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine sour cream, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon ⅔ of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread raspberry mixture evenly over the batter. Spoon remaining batter over raspberry mixture. Top with almonds.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
  5. Combine confectioners’ sugar, milk, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla. Stir well. Drizzle glaze over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Happy, happy birthday, Shelby my friend!  May your days be long, your worries be few, and your blessings be numerous!

Shelby's Raspberry Coffee Cake

Check out the other birthday wishes posts from more of Shelby’s friends!

Megan from Megan’s Cookin’

Jenny from Mad Rantings of Andrew’s Mom

Pam from Living Rancho Delux

Katrina from Baking and Boys

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Megans Cookin September 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

This coffeecake is a perfect start to our celebration. This was so fun and I’m glad I got to come to the party!

Suzanne September 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

We like to celebrate ALL day long around here. LOL! This WAS fun and so tickled to be a part of it!

Shelby September 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

THANK YOU Suzanne. You ladies certainly did surprise me and it feels good to know that people you have never met can be such great friends. I am holding you to your NY visit, I’m like an elephant. I NEVER forget anything I don’t want to. ;) BTW, how many times have I mentioned that Grumpy loves Raspberries? You really went back far on my blog for this one! LOL. I believe I made it particularly because Grumpy does love Raspberries and even though he proclaims to not like desserts, he was always looking for it! ;)

Suzanne September 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Coffee cake is a childhood favorite of mine and anything with raspberries and sweet is a favorite of my Mountain Man, too. Happy, happy birthday my friend!

Jenny September 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Suzanne that cake looks divine! It was so fun to be part of this celebration for our sweet friend Shelby!

Suzanne September 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It is soooo yummy! We both just love it. Very flavorful and yes, what a fun party!!

Amanda September 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What a wonderful looking coffee cake! I’ve had the flu for two days and am starting to feel a little better and wish I hd a piece of this right now!

Suzanne September 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

This coffee cake is soooo moist and good. I hate that you have had the flu! Ugh! Well, if I were there I would wait on you hand and foot and make this cake for you!! I’m sending you a virtual piece of it now!

Katrina September 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Great looking cake! I love raspberries, too. And I actually have some in the fridge. Hmmm. I mean, it IS Shelby’s birthday. And the pumpkin bars ARE all gone. Poifect pick! Thanks for baking along with me for Shelby’s birthday!

Suzanne September 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM

It is quick, easy and will wow your whole family, I promise! So, since you all must have inhaled the pumpkin bars, I say go for it!! Thank goodness for Shelby’s birthday! :)

Shelby September 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Yes, thank goodness. ;)

April @ Angel's Homestead October 1, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Awww You all are so sweet to do that for Shelby. :) Your cake looks delicious, especially with those yummy almonds on top.

Jane and I have discussed a meeting of SRC members before, and it WILL happen. It’s all just a matter of finishing up business and getting my ducks in a row. How much fun we’d have!

Suzanne October 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This is a fabulous coffee cake. Having it, again, for breakfast today. I will be experimenting with other fruits, too.

Can’t wait to meet everyone!