Tortellini Primavera (SRC Special)

by Suzanne on August 17, 2011

DSC_0385A (800x536) Tortellini Primavera

It is wonderfully amazing to be a part of people coming together who don’t even really know each other to support one of their own!  In this instance there are a dozen or so bloggers getting together to blog about one of our fellow bloggers who was kinda left hanging.  The person who was assigned her blog backed out on reveal day leaving her an orphan of the reveal.  So, in order to show our support of “Connor’s Cooking” there are several of us that have put together a post using one of Connor’s recipes that we chose to make.

It’s just what we do.  Rally to help out a friend.

No, there is no major tragedy involved here.  Just good old-fashioned friendship.

It seems that more and more people are becoming secluded in their own world.  We try to socialize our dogs, but forget about ourselves.  Companionship and friendship are sooooo underrated.  We feel better about ourselves when we care about others.

It’s a fact.

Nurturing friendships isn’t always easy.  It’s really no different than working to make and keep your marriage going strong.  Regardless of how often, or not, they call you or drop in to say “have a good day”, it isn’t a one-way street.  YOU have to make a selfless effort to keep it going.  Communicate, reach out and touch someone, call them for no reason at all, just check in and say hello is as important as a good night’s sleep.   And THAT is important.

Such is this group called the Secret Recipe Club.  It’s not all that old, but we are all tied to each other by one big important element in our lives . . . FOOD!

Of course, food isn’t really what it is ALL about.  Families gather at special holidays for that big turkey, homemade caramel apples, a favorite birthday cake, and potluck family reunions.  It’s really all about family.

So here is my contribution to my SRC family and to Connor’s Cooking.  The choices were many, but this “Tortellini Primavera” really grabbed me.  Not to mention I had most of the ingredients on hand.  And I didn’t just make this, I ATE this and had to make myself stop eating.

Then I took two more bites.

THEN I stopped eating.

WOW, this is GREAT!

Quick, simple, and can be made with real butter or margarine, heavy cream or skim milk, etc.  In other words, you can make this as low cal, or not, as you want.

Tortellini Primavera

Adapted from Connor’s Cooking

Serves 4-6

1 package (20 oz) frozen Cheese Tortellini

2 Tbsp Butter

1 small Onion, chopped

2 Garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 bunch of Lacinato Kale, chopped  (Chou frise’ Lacinato – that’s French, I think.  Don’t ask me to pronounce it.)

Lacinato Kale

2/3 cup milk

1 package (8oz) Cream Cheese, cubed

2 medium Campari Tomatoes, chopped

1/4 cup fresh-grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook tortellini according to package directions.

In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in the butter.  Add basil and oregano.  Then add kale.  Toss and simmer until kale is tender.

Stir in cream cheese and milk and continue to stir into a nice thick sauce.  Drain the tortellini with a slotted spoon and add to the saute mixture.  Reserve the pasta water and use to get your desired consistency of the sauce.  Incorporate the tomato.

Serve and sprinkle with the fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.

A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.  ~Douglas Pagels

Most of us don’t need a psychiatric therapist as much as a friend to be silly with.  ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

Friendship isn’t a big thing – it’s a million little things.  ~Author Unknown

A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.  ~Leo Buscaglia

Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.  ~Sicilian Proverb

The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.  ~Aristotle

In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.  ~Albert Schweitzer

Thelma: Hey Louise, better slow down, I’ll just die if we get caught over a speeding ticket. Are you sure we should be driving like this, I mean in broad daylight and everything?
Louise: No we shouldn’t, but I want to put some distance between us and the SCENE OF OUR LAST  . . . DAMNED CRIME!
[Thelma laughs and screams]
Thelma: Oh man! You wouldn’ta believed it, it was like I was doing it all my life, nobody woulda believed it.
Louise: Think you found your calling?
Thelma: May-be… may-be.
[gets up in her seat]
Thelma:  The call of the wild!

My Thelma to Your Louise,

Suzanne

My cousin, Sandy and me. Circa 1960

If you would like to see the rest of the recipes that were re-created from Connor’s Cooking, check them out here!

You can purchase high-resolution photos of pictures from this blog and other images here. They make great kitchen decor and gifts. Also, the notecards are great for sharing recipes! More added every week.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield by V. Suzanne Collier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.txcolliers.smugmug.com/Lifes-Highway.

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Katrina August 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Looks delish. Great post, Suzanne and I totally agree with you. Actually, you mentioned that a dozen or so of us got together–looks like almost 3 dozen! Awesome!
Love that photo of you and your cousin! Priceless!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Thanks! It is really so yummy I could hardly put it down. And yes! Almost 3 dozen bloggers!!! How amazing! Love it! And thanks for the kudos on the pic. She is definitely my “Louise”. :D

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM

She and I truly are Thelma and Louise. We have a great time together, used to get into trouble together and probably still could. Thanks, my dear friend for stopping by and taking time to say Hi!

Lisa~~ August 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM

That is one gorgeous pasta dish. It was fun coming together and cooking from Connor’s Cooking. I hope that you’ll check out the Nutella Crêpes which I made from her blog.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM

It WAS a lot of fun! The crepes look wonderful and I love crepes. Will have to make these, too!

megan's Cookin August 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Oh my goodness, you people are the nicest people. Loved this post Suzanne. And the dish looks like an easy, tasty, weekday kind of meal that would fit into anyone’s schedule. I like! I like alot! :)

My favorite of the quotes is…

Friendship isn’t a big thing – it’s a million little things.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM

The dish IS easy. And whips up in no time. I think I spent about 30 minutes on it, start to finish. Well, that doesn’t include the “eating” part.

Friendship IS a million little things. Thanks for stopping by, my friend!

Chaya August 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Your post is even better than the recipe and that looks delicious. You made some important points. This certainly is a special group. I have found foodie bloggers to be great people, across the board.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

OK, now I’m blushing. I truly love this dish and will be making it again and again. It’s going to be great for a quick evening meal or for special guest, either one. I hope you give it a try! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

cindy August 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thank you for your insightful post. A good life is all about reaching out, a successful marriage is each partner giving 110%. I have a wonderful marriage, some people say we are ‘lucky’, hubby and I have both been working hard at our marriage for 35 years!
And good food helps, the tortellini looks yummy.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM

If we don’t have each other then what do we have? Not just a great husband but great friends, too. Thanks for sticking around long enough to comment! And that tortellini is/was wonderful!!

Melissa@IWasBornToCook August 17, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Great dish, and great post! We certainly did rally today!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Yes, yes we did! I’m amazed at the number of bloggers that participated. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

Tami August 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM

(We try to socialize our dogs, but forget about ourselves. Companionship and friendship are sooooo underrated.) – I couldn’t have said it better! There is such a wonderful show of support in the SRC!

You picked an awesome dish to prepare. I want to grad a fork and dig right into it.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM

It was such a great dish and so easy. You will be at the table eating this within minutes of preparation and cooking. Enjoy!

Tandy August 18, 2011 at 1:49 AM

friendship, whether virtual or real is what makes our world a special place :)

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM

And happy to be a part of it! Thanks for stopping by!

Shelby Ruttan August 18, 2011 at 5:32 AM

Gorgeous dish, loving the colors. So true what you say about feeling good about yourself….to me, the only way to feel good is to be good to others. So many people like to be miserable today though and you see it every day. I never noticed it more since moving to the city. City traffic. That’s all I need to say! lol

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Oh, that city traffic! This is a great “I made it home!” dish that will make you feel good all over.

Some call people like us “do-gooders”. I prefer “feel-gooders”. LOL!

Roberta August 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Yummmmmmmmm
I want to make some. Substitue swiss chard from the garden in place of the kale? What do you think!
p.s. love the swm suit(s) you are both dolls!
Bert

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’ve had this for lunch two days in a row. It’s THAT good!

Swiss chard most definitely! And that pic is one of my very, very favorites! :D

Denise @ Creative Kitchen August 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Loved this….people….family, friends are what matter in our lives. :)

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Georgia Pellegrini August 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Looks spectacular! I love the addition of the kale.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach. I think they would all work well! Thanks!

Foodness Gracious August 20, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Great post and so right, food is all around us and always brings people together!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM

“Comfort Food” is any food as long as there’s family and friends involved. Thanks, Gerry!

jennifersikora1 August 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM

This sounds so yummy :)

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

It’s a great go-to meal for anytime! Thank YOU for stopping by!

Raina August 22, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to make a recipe from my blog! I loved this super easy dish too and I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Raina

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM

It was definitely my pleasure! I have now fixed these THREE times, each time for different members of our family. Everyone loved them! I see more of these in our future. Just finished off the last of the last batch. YUM!!

Beth August 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

This recipe looks terrific. So nice of you to look after your fellow blogger!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Thanks! Me and about 32 others! Great community of friends here! Thanks so much for stopping by and taking time to comment.

Becky August 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

If I lived next door to you, would you invite me over for dinner EVERY night? :D

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Absolutely! And I would even figure out something that Rich would like. :D

Caroline August 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Wow, this pasta looks delicious! Great combination of flavors. Gorgeous photo too. :)

Nancy@acommunaltable August 30, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I’ve seen similar recipes but NONE with kale – absolutely brilliant!!!

thedrivencook August 31, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I love dressing up tortellini- here’s another great variation of a dish that uses it! It’s simple enough for a weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing!

Julie September 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This pasta looks amazing! Pasta is my favorite main dish!

Amy @ A Little Nosh October 23, 2011 at 5:16 AM

What a gorgeous dish! Thanks for linking up to A Little Nosh this week.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield October 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Thanks and Thank YOU for the invite!