Cornbread Muffins Southwestern Style (SRC)

by Suzanne on August 15, 2011

Maybe enough for a year

Four words.

HATCH NEW MEXICO GREEN CHILE
DSC_0005A (800x536)

Anytime I see these four words in a recipe I stop dead in my tracks.
Well, not dead-dead.
You know what I mean.

I can’t pass them up. New Mexico Green Chile owns a piece of my heart. And most of my taste buds.  Mmmmmmm, fresh roasted with lots of flavor and a reasonable amount of heat is just the ticket.  Split open a fresh-roasted green chile, insert a stick of Monterrey Jack cheese and wrap up in a warm flour tortilla and chow down!  Wow, there is nothing better (to me).

This month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment was from Sin-A-Mon Tales, a fabulous food blog . The recipe for Corn Chilli Muffins was a big attraction for me when I read through the recipe and saw that it called for Green Chiles. I was hooked!

These muffins would be perfect for breakfast with a couple of eggs, brunch with a patty of sausage wedged between the top and bottom, lunch with a bowl of green chile stew, or dinner with a nice piece of elk tenderloin steak and a fresh pot of pinto beans. I think I’m hungry all over again.

This can be my meal plan for the next week!

And the great news gets even better.  Green Chiles are now in season!  You can find them, in some parts of the country, at your local farmers markets and some grocery stores.  Otherwise you will have to order them online.  They are fresh.  Mild, Medium, Hot or Extra Hot.

CAUTION!  If you do a web search and they spell “Chile” – CHILI, immediately escape and find a website that knows how to spell “Chile”, as in peppers.  Chili is a hearty stew of meat that is flavored heavily with CHILE pepper, whether powder or the chile pepper pod.

Even as I write this, spell check thinks I am misspelling “chile”.  ugh.

OK, back to the business at hand.

These are hearty muffins, full of flavor that you could literally make a meal on by themselves or with a nice green salad.

I think I’ll give it all a try.

Cornbread Muffins Southwestern Style

Makes 1 dozen muffins

• 3/4 cup Milk
  • 1 cup Egg Whites (or 3 whole eggs)
  • 1 1/2 cup Yellow Corn Meal
  • 1/2 cup all purpose Flour
  • 1/2 cup frozen Corn Kernels
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped Green Chiles
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt

Put eggs and milk into large bowl and beat together with a fork until incorporated.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are moist.
Grease 12-cup muffin pan and spoon in mixture.
Bake at 400F degrees for about 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden brown on top.
DSC_0335A (800x536)
Always full of corn,
Suzanne

If you would like to see the rest of this month’s Secret Recipe Club gems, check it out here!

You can purchase high-resolution photos of pictures from this blog and other images here. They make great kitchen decor and gifts. Also, the notecards are great for sharing recipes! More added every week.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield by V. Suzanne Collier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.txcolliers.smugmug.com/Lifes-Highway.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

tastyeatsathome August 15, 2011 at 6:20 AM

My kind of corn muffin! Yum. I already bought a few chiles and roasted them, stashing them away in the freezer (and using some in an enchilada sauce). I need more! This morning, having one of these muffins alongside a chile-and-egg scramble would be perfect.

megan's Cookin August 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Hi Suzanne, Loved the muffin post. I remember last year after seeing your chile stash for the year, I saw them for the first time here in a local grocery store. I didnt get any then, but I’m going to be looking for them this year and roast me up a batch. Your muffins sound killer and you have me drooling for some this early AM. That means you did your job (this post) REAL GOOD. LOL
Have a delicious day! :)

Katrina August 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Mmm, I love a good corn muffin (minus the onions–surprise!) ;)
So when you get that many chiles at once, do you roast them and freeze them or what do you do to preserve that many?
Great post, yours are always one of my favorites to check out.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM

We generally buy ours fresh-roasted. Places that sell them are famous for having chile roasters set up outside to roast them as you buy them. If not you can roast them yourselves on a grill. You want them nice and black, but not too black– too much green they will also be hard to peel. But you don’t want to roast them into crispy critters either.

Then we take them home and package them into quart baggies and freeze them. I take them out as needed (usually 2 quarts at a time), thaw and strip off the outside skin and remove most of the seeds. I NEVER rinse them with water, ever, because you will wash away natural oils, vitamins/minerals and capsasin that is so good for you! Not to mention flavor.

I use them whole for burgers and chile rellenos. For everything else I chop the chiles up, douse with some garlic salt and add a bit of olive oil. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 10-14 days. I’m not sure because ours never lasts long at all!

Bizzy August 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM

This is my kind of corn muffin with all the good stuff inside. A great choice, on your part.

Lisa~~ August 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Oh my those look so good!

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Cookaholic Wife August 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yum! I need to give these a try!

Donna Dalton August 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM

CHILE-LICIOUS Suzanne- Rick and I – No usually I usually buy a couple of guuny sacks roasted and put them up every summer. Thanks! Donna

Mari August 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM

It looks perfect!! I love corn muffins, these are special to accompany a bowl of homemade chili!

Shelby Ruttan August 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM

These muffins would grab my attention too! Fabulous photo at the end!

Peggy August 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Oh I bet these ‘chile’ corn muffins would go oh so well with a hearty bowl of ‘chili’ =) Great choice for the SRC!

Trisha August 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Great choice of recipe! Sounds really good!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Thanks so much! Making these again, for sure!

sara August 16, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Mmmmmm, yummy. Love these muffins – the freshly roasted chiles really put them over the top!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Nothing like the fresh stuff!!!

Georgia Pellegrini August 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I’m OBSESSED with green chiles right now. This looks SO GOOD!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Not a bad thing to be obsessed with. At least that’s what I think. Right?! LOL!

Taylor August 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM

These look awesome! I’ve only bought canned chiles, but can imagine how delicious fresh ones are!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM

You should order the real thing if you can’t get it locally. It’s the same with getting fresh shrimp right off the boat or getting it in the frozen section of the grocery store. NO comparison! My favorite way to eat them is to bring them home fresh-roasted and still hot, peel one or two and put a big piece of Monterrey Jack cheese inside. Then wrap it up in a fresh, hot flour tortilla and scar it up! Best thing ever!

Monika August 22, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Love how urs look, thanks for trying a recipe from my blog glad u liked it :)

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM

My pleasure. Really! GREAT muffins!

Kimberly August 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Stopping by from SRC Group C!

These look and sound delicious … I love cornbread anything … and throw in green chilies … yes, please!