Very Southwestern Stuffed Poblanos

by Suzanne on February 10, 2011

Trying to get a variety of complex carbohydrates into my daily routine is not a huge challenge, but a challenge nonetheless. Which includes a healthy dose of fiber. Ugh. When I was 25 years old I didn’t even know what fiber was. Unless it was something you made clothing from.

Seems as if we have to learn more and more when we move into (or through) middle age. If I’m middle age, then I’m going to live to be at least 110. That being the case, taking care of myself is relatively important.

I quit smoking 12 years ago this month. Cold turkey. After about four other attempts. I can’t be a “casual smoker”. It’s either all or nothing. So, now, it’s nothing.

Why is it when you have that 50th or so birthday that you start to feel as if all that immortality you built up by living through your teens and twenties actually may run out at some time.

It’s just a theory I’m working on. I’m pretty sure I will still live forever.

However, I’ve decided that I need to lead a quality immortal life.

I think that, for the most part, these Very Southwestern Stuffed Poblanos will help me do just that.

But mostly, they just taste good. Drool-worthy, as a matter of fact.

Very Southwestern Stuffed Poblanos

Serves 6

6 Poblano Peppers, halved
2 cups cooked Brown or Wild Rice (I used a mixture of both)
2 cups cooked Black Beans
8 oz. Chorizo Sausage, removed from casings, fried and crumbled
2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1″pieces
5 or 6 Green onions,thin sliced
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Red Chile Powder Hot or Mild – up to you
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup grated Manchego Cheese
1/4 cup grated Cheddar Cheese

Place poblano halves onto backing sheet or in large casserole dish.

Mix all other ingredients except cheddar cheese in large bowl. Stuff mixture into pepper halves. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Now, I’m not a nutrition expert, but from what I can roughly figure each whole stuffed pepper is going to yield about 6 grams of fiber. And, if you want to really healthy this dish up – or if you are a vegetarian, you could leave out the chorizo, although the sausage I used rendered so little fat I almost wanted to cook it in a little olive oil. You could also sub a little fat-free cream cheese or low-fat cheddar. Or use no cheese at all. Last, but not least, this pepper would be great for a side dish with a Flatiron Steak or some Grilled Margarita Chicken. It’s that good!

All in all I’m extremely pleased with the taste, simplicity and health factor of this dish. But the drool factor is off the charts!

Stuffed,
Suz

You can purchase high-resolution photos of pictures from this blog and other images here. They make great kitchen decor and gifts. Also, the notecards are great for sharing recipes! More added every week.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield by V. Suzanne Collier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.txcolliers.smugmug.com/Lifes-Highway.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Cookin' Canuck February 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM

If this is what living an immortal life is all about, then count me in. These look fantastic, Suzanne!

Katrina February 11, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Really, really want to make these! I think I really will. Really. ;)
And way to go on the 12 years smoke free!!

Alta February 11, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Suzanne, it’s not even 5:30 am yet and i so want these. I am definitely making soon. They sound like a healthier version of a chile relleno or something. Yum. Congrats on the no smoking! I actually forgot exactly how long it’s been for me…more than 5 years.I remember when my last cig was (i was still working for you at the time, was in houston getting training for the big dreaded conversion) but I couldn’t tell you what the date was. Doesn’t it feel great to know there is so much distance between you and an unhealthy habit that seemed monsterous at the time? You deserve lots of praise for that accomplishment.

Barbara @moderncomfortfood February 11, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Wow, Suzanne! You’re my shining Texas lone star when it comes to cooking up pepper dishes, and this one is getting me all hot and bothered as I sit here drinking my morning coffee. Can’t wait to try this one!

I’ve got a pepper question though: I’ve never used poblanos for stuffing before because I’d read they needed to be peeled before baking, something that seemed way too much bother to me. But you, my expert, haven’t done so. What’s the difference? I’d really like to know.

Amanda February 11, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Oooooo I want some!!

Fight the Fat Foodie February 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM

This really looks wonderful! thanks for sharing.

megan February 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Mexican food is one of our favorites and these are right up that alley. We just had taco cups and these would have been perfect them!

Barbara Bakes February 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM

This is my kind of stuffed pepper!

Claire February 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Sounds fanatastic! I better send this to the chef!

Here is to another fabulous birthday my friend!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield February 11, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and commenting! You make me smile! These peppers will be in the rotation at our house for sure!

@ Katrina, thanks for the smoking kudos!

@Barbara, I have never found any reason to blister the skin off of poblanos. They are no more tough, in my opinion, than a bell pepper. And you’re right – it’s too much bother! For our taste, the 30 minutes is just right – long enough to soften the pepper but not so long that it becomes mushy and falls apart.

BTW, I liked the Manchego cheese in the filling but it is entirely not necessary. Some great cheddar all the way around would be just great!

Shelby February 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Ok, I’ve made up my mind. I need to find my way to your house to eat! I’m leaving Grumpy behind though because he’s a wimp and won’t eat anything remotely spicy anymore. I’ve had to cut my spices way down for him lately. Unfortunately it is because he has heatburn all the time anymore. I love this kind of food Suzanne!

tastyeatsathome February 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

So I made a version of these last night – they were a great use of leftovers in the house. Here’s what I did:

Used 1 can black beans and 1/2 cup of leftover cooked plain white beans.
Used 2 cups leftover mashed sweet potatoes instead of cubed sweet potatoes.
Used 8 oz leftover shredded pork (from cooking a pork shoulder in the crock pot), chopped, instead of the chorizo.
Bumped up the spices to compensate for no spicy chorizo.
Topped with Daiya (non-dairy) cheese.

And I served them with a bit of guacamole.

Yum! What a lovely dish, and a great inspiration.

Sunny March 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Wow. This look excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide March 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Those look gorgeous. Love chorizo and that you didn’t just use the “orange” cheese.

delishhh April 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I am a huge fan of things in peppers – this looks fabulous! Time for lunch :)