Grilled Salmon Orzo Salad

by Suzanne on August 8, 2010

This is the case of the Missing Orzo.

It happens ALL the time.

Well, almost all the time.

I’ve had this little package of Orzo for a while now. It sits in my pantry on a shelf that is eye-level to a 2.5 year old boy. It never ceases to amaze me where I find the Orzo each time this same 2.5 year old boy leaves to go home.

His name is Justin. He’s our grandson. He’s just the most precious thing on God’s green earth. Well, him and his sister Abbie. And our daughters and son-in-laws . . . But, I digress.

He thinks I’m weird.

Little scamp

Actually, HE's weird, too.

omg

And we are likely to find the Orzo under our pillow when we go to bed at night. Or in my closet or under my chair. Of course it is never in plain sight.

I’ve decided it is a game. He is testing me. Keeping me sharp and thinking. He laughs at me when I’m not looking.

That’s what grandkids are for, right? Keeping us young! Especially since their parents are the ones that made us old. Come on, I know you know I’m right!

Hider-of-Mai's Orzo. Scamp

Now, on with the Orzo!

MM grilled us up some larapin (LOVE that word!) good wild caught Sockeye Salmon the other night. Probably about THE best salmon ever! But alas, we couldn’t eat all of it in one settin’. There was about a half pound that I needed to make into something, so I decided on this Grilled Salmon and Orzo Salad.

It’s summer.

It’s H.O.T. here in Texas. I don’t know what the weather is like where you live, but here, it has been as close to Hades as I want to get! When it never gets below 80 degrees for a low, and is 106 at 5pm and still 100 at 10pm, well, pardner, that’s just toooooo dang hot!

A cool, refreshing salad is in order!

This can be a full-on dinner meal, lunch or a side. It is the perfect picnic food.

I think even the Scamp may like it.

Grilled Salmon Orzo Salad
Serves 10-12

8 ounces Grilled Salmon
16 ounces package of Orzo pasta, prepared according to package directions
1 small bottle of Capers (3.5 oz)
1 large Shallot bulb, chopped
20 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
Juice of 2 large Lemons
1/4 cup diced Red Bell Pepper
2 tablespoons fresh Dill, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cracked Pepper
Kosher Salt, to taste

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Chill. Serve. Enjoy!

Grilled Salmon Orzo Salad

Very healthy, very low in fat, very satisfying!! You can always substitute shrimp or chopped chicken for the salmon. This is a fresh, cool summer salad that your entire family can enjoy as a meal or a side dish!

Here’s a pic of the Scamp in his native habitat.

Orzo Scamp

Fresh, cool, and delicious!

I have to run out and get another package of Orzo before The Scamp gets here this afternoon. Wouldn’t be the same with out the Missing Orzo later this evening.

Sherlock,
Suz

Print Recipe

You can purchase high-resolution photos of pictures from this blog and other images here. They make great kitchen decor and gifts. Also, the notecards are great for sharing recipes! More added every week.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield by V. Suzanne Collier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.txcolliers.smugmug.com/Lifes-Highway.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

tastyeatsathome August 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Looks so fresh and delicious. Although I have a feeling that there wouldn’t have been any leftover sockeye for this salad if it was hubby and I eating! :) It’s one of my favorite treats – sockeye salmon. Drool. I do love the missing orzo story – wonder why orzo? Why not beans, rice, spaghetti…?

Barbara @ moderncomfortfood August 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I’m jealous on so many levels I hardly know where to begin. First, your grandson. My super-picky son is still waiting to fall truly in love, even though his various girlfriends have been great. Wish me luck. Second, you’re actually publishing recipes lately, unlike me. And third, I love this orzo salad! MM’s wild caught salmon paired with the ingredients you’ve selected here sound just perfect for summer. I can’t get really good salmon in Fl, but perhaps our wild caught grouper, mahi-mahi, or mackerel would work well too.

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield August 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Thanks so much ladies! This IS delicious. I even put a little more fresh lemon juice on when I served this salad. Don’t need nearly as much salt that way. Delicious!

@ Alta, the orzo is in a little 1lb package, soft “bag”, not a box and rattles when you shake it. It just fits in his hands. I think those are at least a few of reasons why I would like it if I were 2.5 years old. :)

@Barbara, wishing you lots of luck on your son finding someone to settle down with and have those grandbabies for you! Also, I am soooo far behind posting recipes, travel stories, reading other blogs and commenting that I will never dig myself out! So I have resigned myself to doing the best I can, when I can. I always love reading your blog and drooling overy your recipes!! Lastly, I think ANY seafood would be great in this. Truly. I’ll be trying this with grilled shrimp next!

sensiblecooking August 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Looks delicious. The best part salmon and pasta. Scamp is so adorable. I loved the salmon with the tomato. This is My TOp Must try recipe.

Claire August 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

just one word: YUMMY

Kausambi August 10, 2010 at 3:12 AM

That looks too good… :)

Cookin' Canuck August 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Cute story about your grandson! This is a fantastic way to use orzo and I appreciate that it doesn’t heat up the house while cooking it.

megan August 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I LOVE orzo and this salad looks perfect for these HOT days. Love the story but better yet was the picture of him in the cage, that orzo bandit! LOL!

Jessica August 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Your grandson is adorable! I don’t have grandkids yet…still raising my kids…but I’m looking forward to it…especially the spoiling them part! lol

This salad looks so tasty, and eating something cool would definitely be welcome in this household!

Kathryn August 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I LOVE salmon- that looks delish! My absolute favorite salmon dish is linguine with smoked salmon. It’s definitely not healthy, but it tastes amazing!