Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry

by Suzanne on May 26, 2010

What to do with leftovers? That’s my favorite question because I am the Queen of Leftovers.

Making something great out of leftovers is when I do some of my best work. This dish was no exception. Quick, easy and completely delicious. It’s one of those things you can make in a flash after you get home from work and have dinner on the table before your family can get their patties washed. Patties. That’s what Grammy calls your hands. “Go wash your patties!” I can hear her now.

In this case the main leftover was from a roast chicken. MM and I can make two or three meals from one $4.99 roast chicken from, you guessed it, Costco. I was in there the other day getting several items. It was a really hot day – ugh, and it’s not even summer yet – and I was having a hard time thinking of something for dinner. So, I grabbed a roast chicken and my worries were over! Along with a fresh salad and some steamed sugar snap peas, we had a delicious meal.

Now one of my most UN-favorite things to do is de-bone. Chicken, turkey it doesn’t matter. It is definitely not high on my list of can’t-live-without things. However, I’m not one to waste a morsel. So I got busy as a beaver and whittled that chicken up in nothing flat.

And it was soooooo worth it. Here’s the result.

Great meal without a lot of work

Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Serves 4

4 servings of cooked rice (I used royal blend)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
4-5 cups broccoli florets
1 cup jicama, rough chopped
1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, rough chopped
4-5 scallions, thinly sliced
2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken
15 aboles peppers (small, red dried pepper. Not really hot, mostly for decoration.)

Cook rice according to directions.

Heat oil on high in wok or large cast iron skillet. Add mushrooms first and allow for most of the water that forms to cook out. Then add remaining ingredients except for chicken. Stir constantly. When about done, broccoli should be a bright green and still be somewhat crunchy.

When vegetables are almost done, add chicken and cook until all ingredients are hot.

Serve stir fry over rice and enjoy!

Arboles Peppers make for wonderful color in this dish!

BTW, I have a bone to pick with you,
Suz

Print Recipe

You can purchase high-resolution photos of pictures from this blog and other images here. They make great kitchen decor and gifts. Also, the notecards are great for sharing recipes! More added every week.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Megan May 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Looks perfectly delicious to me!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme May 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Great way to use up that leftover chicken! I hate deboning a chicken, too. I get impatient about halfway through the thing and swear I’ll never debone another one. That lasts about a day and a half and I’m at it again. Just too many good things to cook with that deboned chicken meat!

Thru The Bugs On My Windshield May 27, 2010 at 8:05 AM

So true, Lana. Also, I saved the carcass and other bones, threw them in a pot with about 4 quarts of water and boiled them for about 30 minutes. Got some great chicken stock! I’ve already used some of it for my next post in the BBQ sauce. Waste not want not, right?

Dawn Hutchins May 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Love leftovers! (Especially since I hate food waste). And this stir fry looks delish!

Barbara @moderncomfortfood May 27, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Kudos from another leftovers queen. Among others, I have a B.A. in Russian literature, and my favorite Russian saying (in English) is “necessity is the mother of invention.” My mother might well have have coined that phrase herself, given her predilection for teaching us kids depression era cooking and how to make food LAST. Stir fry like yours is great for that purpose, and I love what you’ve done here. Pizza is another ace in the hole for leftovers queens or kings.

eggscreamandhoney May 28, 2010 at 3:23 AM

I think my generation is not so good with leftovers! We are the wasteful ones. I try but sometimes things sit in the fridge for too long. Stir fries are a great way of using the extra stuff though, you are right. We also keep pigs and chickens and I don’t feel so bad now as I give a lot of the waste to them. Looks like a lovely recipe anyway!

tastyeatsathome May 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Great way to use leftover chicken! Unfortunately, with my hubby around, there’s rarely leftover roasted chicken when I roast one. That’s one of his favorite things. I have to swipe the bones from him before he throws them away so I can save them for stock. I do love making a stir-fry or fried rice with any leftover bits of random things though – it’s filling, tasty, and frugal!

torviewtoronto June 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM